Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Am I storing food or is food storing me?

In a few days, it will have been 7 years since we moved to Madison. When our realtor showed us the first house we looked at in Madison, it felt familiar, however we didn't feel like it was the right house and kept looking. After a few other homes, we looked at this house.

Immediately upon walking in the door, I knew it would be our home and I understood why that first house had felt so familiar. Because it was nearly the same floorplan as this home.

The house was empty, and I saw it as a blank slate, just waiting for my paint brush. I was looking for a house with potential, and this one had it. But 7 years later, there is a glaring problem with my house.

You may recognize the symptoms...

A broom closet sized pantry...

Photobucket

A coat closet converted to a food storage closet...

Photobucket


A laundry closet storing food instead of laundry supplies...

Photobucket

Four sets of shelves in the garage to hold various food and serving items due to ultra small broom-sized closet...(this picture only shows 3 of the 4 shelves)

Photobucket

"Princess" beds ... which really is just a glamorous name used to brainwash our girls into thinking it's cool that they have to jump off the floor to get onto their "food storage beds"...

Photobucket

The beginnings of a 3 month supply with out a place to lay its head, except the counter in the kitchen...

Photobucket

Sad day.

And I didn't even show you the spaghetti sauce under the sofa!

So this weekend I got one more project finished. I guess technically it was 2, now that I think about it! YAY! I got 2 done!

Now, Samantha's beds look a little more like "Princess beds" instead of "Food Storage beds" thanks to my old, white living room curtains made into bedskirts.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Seven years ago, I wish I had been looking not only for a house with potential, but a place to store all my food for "the end of the world", ha ha. Now I just feel like a house guest to all of my food. Don't you wish you had a climatized, walk-in pantry the size of your garage?

Maybe it's only me.

7 comments:

Karen said...

That is a lot of food. We have been blessed with an extra closet but must admit that I too have food in the laundry room. Oh the joys right?

kg said...

Wow, I'm impressed! Although we do have a large pantry, our small broom/coat/where we will try to hide if a tornado came room under the stairs is full of food too. Your closets all look organized tough, not mine :)

Emily H. said...

This is the result of some mad couponing skills Charity! Bravo! I bet for the same cost at Publix you walk out with way more goods than I do. you've gotten so creative with hiding your food. Fun post to see where your stashes are hidden!

Dawn, said...

yep. After living in student housing for 8 years and military housing for 3 years... I knew our dream home would have storage space A PLENTY. We still have food storage squirreled away in clever places though, tee-hee. The bed 'platforms' are so classic... I had those when I was growing up!

Jessica M said...

Yes, I do. I dream of it every time I go digging in random places around the house for that mylar package of spaghetti noodles. But you store brilliantly! Pasta sauce under the sofa? I should try that! The bedskirt looks great, I need to get to mine. Love watching the projects tick by on your list!

Michelle said...

I'm loving your organized stockpile...you're doing great! (And anyone that says otherwise, clearly, does not appreciate the peace one finds when possessing 50 tubes of free toothpaste)

Quincy Sorensen said...

I love it! Your pictures are AWESOME!