Saturday, January 8, 2011

Haves and Have-nots

There is something about my daughter's approaching 17th birthday that is causing me to think about my life and where I thought I would be at this stage, or maybe it's that darn Taylor Swift song.   

My wants have always extended beyond my means, and dreams have faded to make room for the dreams of those I love, and things that are not things at all.  

I have not...
...my dream house, with a gourmet kitchen, and food storage pantry, laundry room, I could go on.
...my dream wardrobe, like on "What Not to Wear"
...my dream craft/sewing room, spacious and organized.
...my dream body, pain-free, strong and fit.

But as I reflect yet again on what I don't have and try to be content, I am once again overwhelmed with the reality of what I DO have.

I have...
...my dream family...unscarred.
...beautiful children, who bless my home and want to do what is right.
...a loving husband, who is faithful to me.
...a home where love resides.
...an abiding faith in my Savior that helps me through my discontent.
...a knowledge that although I don't have the things of this world, I have a bounty of blessings that cannot be measured in this world.
Photobucket

The spirit sweetly reminds me that many of my righteous desires for my family are being manifested.

Photobucket

So when I listen to that darn Taylor Swift song, "Never Grow Up" that Alex introduced me to, I cry my eyes out.  Not only because I am sad that I didn't have that kind of a childhood, but mostly because I realize that my kids are...and part of me wishes we could stay like this and they would never grow up.

 

5 comments:

hope said...

I, too have recently been reminded of many blessings. Although I try to live my life in gratitude, over the past 2 months I have been reminded of very simple, yet complex blessings of the senses of the body. Many times I have been without 50% hearing, 100% smell and about 90% taste. It has been a humbling experience, to say the least. What amazing miracles are completely obvious, and yet not so much at times.

Thanks for this beautiful post!

Dawn, said...

Shawn took all the kids to the movies last night and I stayed home all alone, very rare moment. I listened to Savannah's new Taylor Swift CD while I took down the Christmas decorations. I too cried during that song!! I am so VERY aware of what little time I have, especially with my older two, left with my family of 5 AT HOME every day. Savannah is so ready to spread her wings, so independent, I am so thankful for that. These highschool years have flown by quicker for me than I remember the years of little ones did. But it is such sweet times too, so blessed!

Quincy Sorensen said...

I think you've got it all. :)

Jessica M said...

The have's do make the have not's seem not so important. The food storage pantry, the gourmet kitchen, *sigh*, I'm dreaming with you and counting my blessings in the mean time.

I am enjoying this new regular posting thing you've got going on. I hope it's hear to stay, I so much enjoy reading what you write.

kg said...

Oh Charity, I loved your lists. I think you do have it all! I'm a little embarrassed I had to google what that song was :)