Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Shine on...happiness

I am not a green thumb. Maybe a brownish-green thumb, but not green. The first plant I ever planted was a bare root peony plant at our first house, in Birmingham. When we put the house on the market, I dug it up and brought it with us. When we moved here six years ago, I planted it in the backyard not far from my kitchen window. Last year I had at least 25-30 blooms on it, and just seeing it beginning to sprout through the hard dirt and stretch toward the sun makes me so happy. Soon these will be light pink lacy peonies. They should be here around mother's day, and I love the idea that something I planted so long ago is still alive, despite having me as its caregiver.

Photobucket

Other things that make me happy...this funny little boy...


Photobucket

...spending time with family.

Photobucket

Aunts, Uncles, cousins....it's a wonderful thing.....always wishing there was more time to chat and catch up...

Photobucket

My cousin, James is going on a mission. We went to Birmingham on Sunday to hear him speak in sacrament meeting and to get together with family that evening. My uncle put together a DVD presentation about Albania, where he will be serving. Sound like an interesting place...Here is one shot from the presentation that was enlightening.....

Photobucket

Followed by the statement that male babies are named Albanian names that mean things like "Warrior" and "Lion", while the female babies names mean words like "Enough", "Last One", "Only One". How sad.

Proud to be an American. That makes me happy too.

One last thing.....check out this great picture my cousin Elizabth took of my 81 year-old grandmother, being held-up by her legal representation (all the attorneys in the family). It cracks me up. I blog-robbed it from her blog...I asked first. :) I wish I had taken more pictures.
Nanny & lawyers
I have a great family! :)

6 comments:

Mere said...

Adorable. I love this post! And I am so glad I got to spend some time with you guys this weekend!

kg said...

My first peony is coming up and I can't wait!!!

Lori said...

You do have a great family!
I love the picture of your grandmother!!

Jessica M said...

That last picture is priceless! And I am so excited for your new stove. Nice.

Clarissa said...

What a sweet post! Matt's brother, John, is currently serving in Albania as well. I'm sure that they'll cross paths as it's not a huge mission.

hope said...

Love the last pic. And a great story about the peonies! I have a brown thumb as well. I have been able to keep three houseplants alive and actually planted Tulips for this year. Maybe I am not so brown-thumbed anymore!